Djokovic wants Davis Cup resolution
SHANGHAI - The day before beating Croatia's Borna Coric 6-3, 6-4 in Sunday's final of the Rolex Shanghai Masters, Novak Djokovic met with Barcelona soccer star Gerard Pique in a bid to find a resolution over the controversial new Davis Cup format.
Under a plan proposed by Pique's Kosmos group and adopted by the International Tennis Federation, the competition will bring together 18 nations for a week at the end of the tennis season for a championship finale.
In November 2019 and 2020 that will be Madrid, but top stars including Djokovic and Roger Federer have suggested they will not take part because it is at the end of a long season.
Djokovic, a prominent member of the ATP Player Council, said last week he is committed to the rival ATP World Team Cup, set to take place weeks after the Davis Cup at the start of 2020.
- LeBron aims to silence skeptics with Hollywood script
- Pastrnak maintains torrid pace as big bad Bruins keep Red Wings winless
- Sweet payback for Crawford
- Djokovic wants Davis Cup resolution
- Inspiration forged by participation
- Movie about Li Na starts filming